Saturday, March 31, 2012

Living Well, Finishing Well

We all want to do things well. For each of us "doing well" will look very different. The season of life we are in,  life circumstances we experience and what we believe will all affect how we define doing well and ultimately affect our finishing well.

In the Christian church, we are in the midst of the Easter season. For many it is a time of reflection on the horror and the beauty of the cross. There, Christ's work was accomplished to save us from our sinfulness and restore us to a right relationship with God. The ultimate sacrifice was made for me to be forgiven. Gethsemane was that dark night which lead to the cross and death, but burst forth brightly in the resurrection of Christ. Sorrow and love were mingled as blood poured on the ground, but death had no hold on him. Stunning!

When I survey the wondrous cross
 on which the Prince of Glory died;
 my richest gain I count but loss,
 and pour contempt on all my pride.

 Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
 save in the death of Christ, my God;
 all the vain things that charm me most,
 I sacrifice them to his blood.

See, from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down.
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
 that were an offering far too small;
 love so amazing, so divine,
 demands my soul, my life, my all.
1707 Issac Watts

Having put my faith and trust in Christ I often catch myself thinking,"Do I live like I have put my faith and trust in Christ?" Am I coldly mouthing words? Is the gospel reality as fresh in my heart and mind with the passion and zeal as the day Christ changed my heart? Do I live my life in such a way that people can't help but see Christ in me? When its all been said and done, did I do my best to live the truth? Did I live my life for you?

Dear reader, these are good questions for us to be asking ourselves. If you are like me, living in the 4th quarter of life, these thoughts and reflections become more frequent.  So today, as my mind is full of soul music I find myself connecting the dots between the wondrous cross, a thorny crown pressed into flesh, love so amazing, so divine, Lord, I'll live my life for you. Only what I've done for love's reward will stand the test of time!

When it's all been said and done
There is just one thing that matters
Did I do my best to live for truth
Did I live my life for You
When it's all been said and done
All my treasures will mean nothing
Only what I've done for love's Reward
Will stand the test of time

Lord Your mercy is so great
That You look beyond our Weakness
And find purest gold in miry clay
Making sinners into saints

I will always sing Your praise
Here on earth and ever after
For You've shown me Heaven's my
True home
When it's all been said and done
You're my life when life is gone

Lord I'll live my life for You
Robin Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment