Sunday, March 18, 2012

All Is Well Even When the Elevator Gives You The Shaft

Some moments stick in your mind like glue to paper. We call these times defining moments. Change is in the air. The wind begins to blow in a different direction, and we find ourselves defining our new normal.

Through the course of the past 32 years we have had many such moments. Grief, loss, sorrow disappointment, and dashed dreams have all found their presence in the warp and weft of the fabric of our lives. Do we despair? I would not be honest with you if I said,"no and thank you for asking, but we have it all together." That would be a lie beyond proportion.

On this journey of life I have learned that as a child of God we are to walk the path of suffering because Jesus walked that path to bring us back to God. It was the only way our sins could be forgiven. Why should we expect so little pain when He endured so much? Joy shows up where sorrow looms.

It has been 10 years since Byron took a walk down a path he had hoped he would never walk. I am honored to have him share with you why he can say it is well even when the elevator gives you the shaft.

Meet My Husband Byron

Ten years ago our lives took a distinct turn after a flurry of doctor visits to evaluate my wife's crescendo of odd neurological symptoms.  One visit led to another which finally led to an MRI of the brain to evaluate these new concerns.

As a physician, I have often been amazed at the significant weight of health and emotional problems many patients carry.  I have been privileged over 27 years of practice to observe many profound acts of courage from patients as they confront these significant, life-changing challenges.

I have also been reminded, sometimes rather painfully of the sterile, unemotional way in which I have carried this type of life-changing news to my own patients.  I am reminded over and over again of the privilege and responsibility of communicating tactfully and truthfully to patients but, perhaps, more importantly helping these patients see a path of hope and purpose in this turn of events in their lives.

I will never forget the important lessons of ten years ago in my own life as I walked quite unsuspectingly and unemotionally into the neuro-radiologist's MRI viewing room with my wife's MRI images tucked under my arms.  Tossing the films up onto his view-box and taking what seemed to be a very quick look, he casually and rather flippantly, for the first time, identified and named the chronic, progressive neurologic disease that for the rest of our days would become the uncomfortable "guest" in our lives and define a new "normal" for us.

I recall a sudden rock-like weight forming in my stomach. Quietly thanking the radiologist, tucking the films under my arm to go home I  now had to deliver this news to my waiting wife.  Walking down the hall toward the elevator I recall a flood of emotions, thoughts and questions crossing my mind.

There are few milestone moments in our lives that we look back on with a crystal clear memory.  These moments of significance land oftentimes unexpectedly and painfully but not without purpose.  I am reminded of the gift of God's grace which not only foreordains our life's sweet and bitter providences for His glory and our good, but sustains us through them.

With tears in my eyes, I recall standing alone at the hospital elevator shaft for what seemed like an eternity.  Feelings of doubt and uncertainty flooded my mind and emotions only to be replaced by the quiet sweet assurance that yes, even this, as painful and fresh as it seemed, had come into our lives for a grand and noble purpose.

Not infrequently now, when I find myself waiting alongside an elevator, I am reminded of this stone of remembrance. I am grateful for the Lord's comfort and strength that He has so graciously lavished on my wife and me since that defining moment by the elevator ten years ago.

I know that God is good and that I/we are in His hands...



1 comment:

  1. I am reminded that the elevator, being a reminder of God's sweet peace that he gave Byron, is one of your ebenezer's (memorial stone). I have many of them over the years which remind me of moments in my life where God demonstrated His faithfulness in powerful ways.

    I thank the Lord for leading you and Byron into our lives and the difference you have made in Laura's life!

    ReplyDelete