Thursday, January 26, 2012

Under Construction

 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. Romans 5:1-5

 For almost a year, I have been driving through construction on a daily basis to get to the places I need to go. Each day brings something new in the construction process. Slower speeds, lots of road markers and occasional lane shifts have become the expected norm until the job is finished. It is apparent to me that there has been a lot of engineering and planning that has taken place in order to make such a large project stay on track and run as smoothly as it has been going. It is evident, as well, that safety has been a big consideration since the road has a high volume of traffic.

Recently, as I was making my way through orange barrels and cones I caught myself thinking that I am under construction too.  God is digging and plowing,  tearing up old surfaces and laying new ones, taking down barriers and building bridges, all the while directing my path through his boundaries of protection and at his safe speed to make me new.  Through the broken pieces of my life He is producing in me endurance, which builds character and in turn produces hope.  What an encouragement to my soul and what a powerful testimony that in all of the construction going on I can trust that I will arrive safely to my destination. Join with me as I sing along my journey through life's construction zone.
 
                       All Must Be Well

Through the love of God our Savior, all will be well
Free and changeless is His favor, all is well
Precious is the blood that healed us
Perfect is the grace that sealed us
Strong the hand stretched forth to shield us
All must be well 

Though we pass through tribulation, all will be well
Ours is such a full salvation, all is well
Happy still in God confiding
Fruitful if in Christ abiding
Steadfast through the Spirit's guiding
All must be well

We expect a bright tomorrow; all will be well
Faith can sing through days of sorrow, all is well
On our Father's love relying
Jesus every need supplying
Yes in living or in dying
All must be well
1847 Mary B. Peters

2 comments: