Friday, November 11, 2011

Meet my friend Carol

Trials and afflictions come to us in many shapes and forms. We live in a day of global economic uncertainty and also at a time where the complexity of disease diagnosis and treatment are advancing at remarkable rates.  Advances in technology and communication are breathtaking. In all of this, one thing is constant; pain and suffering is very real. The answers for coping  are found in the word of God and in relationship with Christ. He, alone, has the power to save and provide the power for us to endure the trials that come our way. Our rest, hope, and trust in the promises of God that are yes and Amen in Jesus is our place of quiet rest as the sea billows roll. You will be blessed by Carol's testimony of her faith in God through trial.

It was 2 years ago today that I got one of the phone calls that we all dread. After some fairly routine medical testing, I fully expected to hear the words, "Your tests were normal". Instead, I heard the words, "There is a problem with your tests". Not exactly the words I wanted to hear when I had a one week old grandson. It was discovered that I had a tumor in my pancreas - not good news under any circumstances. I reluctantly got on the roller coaster ride that would involve one medical test after another. The days became a blur of blood tests, x-rays, and nuclear scans. What was I supposed to tell my kids? Or my parents? There was a good chance that I would not see my grandson's first birthday. The odds of my seeing his second birthday were miniscule.


As I look back now, I can see that God had begun preparing me for this experience many months ahead of time. He had started to teach me about His love and His faithfulness - things that I could say with my mouth, but did not truly believe in my heart. He provided for me every single step of the way, from friends who were by my side during the testing, to friends who were there for me on Facebook in the wee hours of the night when I could not sleep. From an ultrasound tech who went above and beyond her job to find my tumor when it was still so small, to an expert surgeon in whom I had total confidence. 

My 6 hour surgery was finished in 90 minutes. My doctor said it appeared that someone had "tattooed" my tumor for him to find. It was in the most accessible spot possible, so he did not have to do nearly as extensive surgery as he had planned. And, against all odds, my biopsy came back as favorably as was possible. I will have to go back for a yearly MRI for the rest of my life, but the odds of it returning are less than the odds that were stacked against me in the first place.
With everything in me, I can honestly say that I would not trade away any part of the experience. It is amazing what God taught me through the entire time. I use my scar to be a daily reminder of God's faithfulness. Yes, God was gracious to spare my life, but it could well be something else tomorrow. His love and goodness are not dependent on a good outcome. No matter what I face in life, I know that God will be there. I know that He loves me. He is good - all the time. And that I can depend on. 

"I will sing of the Lord's great love forever; with my mouth I will make Your faithfulness known through all generations. I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that you established your faithfulness in heaven itself." Psalm 89:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment