Monday, November 21, 2011

Grateful

This past weekend we had the opportunity to go to a family wedding. While I was riding in the car, traveling by farmers' fields that have been laid to rest for the winter, I found myself reflecting on the goodness of God. My mind wandered back to my recent blog on thankfulness. There is much to be thankful for in our lives. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to see family again and spend time with them, reminiscing, catching up and celebrating the gift of marriage.

I have another family that I am greatly thankful for and that is my spiritual family, the body of Christ. I am so thankful for my church and the fellowship that is found there.  What would we do without Christ in our lives? What would we miss if their was no fellowship with other Christ followers? Our lives would be void and dark.

As I have journeyed the path of trials and afflictions for more than a decade, I have frequently found myself pondering the goodness of God in affliction. In my deepest aches, when I want to question why, there is that gentle nudge of the Holy Spirit reminding me, "Trust Him, God is good." Just when I begin to fall, the Lord will bring someone along my way who lifts my countenance with an encouraging word or an uplifting verse. We are to bear one anthers burdens and I am grateful for those who have done so in the body of Christ.

So, as I reflect on what it is I am thankful for, I am thankful for my church family. I am thankful for the leadership of our church and their kind shepherd hearts. I thankful for the privilege of sitting under sound biblical teaching. I am thankful for the way the body manifests and uses their spiritual gifts to benefit the body. I am thankful for the many ways each one cares for one another. Happy Thanksgiving to you all dear readers. Take the time to tell one person what you are thankful for this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment