Wednesday, December 21, 2011

You are Never Alone

Yesterday was a wonderful day. I had the chance to enjoy lunch with a group of old friends in the cozy atmosphere of a home. We laughed and chatted for hours, catching up from our last lunch months ago. As I listened to the buzzing conversations around the table, it was apparent to me that God is moving and growing us all through a variety of tugs and trials that come our way. While I would never wish hardship on anyone, it was music to my ears to hear how God has been faithful sustaining each of us in our various trials. I think it would be agreed around the table that these trials have been good for us as it broadens our view of God, and that these trials are sovereignly designed to exercise our muscles of faith hope and trust in the God of grace, mercy and goodness.

I have been making it a practice for the last two years to read through the Bible in a year and plan to do so as long as I have breath. It is not an easy task and sometimes I feel like a marathon runner making the great push at the end to cross the finish line. Yesterday, as I was driving in my car listening to the Bible on CD thinking that I may need to keep on driving to Nebraska so I can finish listening to the end, I was struck by 2 Corinthians 1:3-7. Who would have thought that our lunch conversation would be such a comfort to me, and hopefully to the others around the table, as I reflected on these verses while I drove home at the end of the day.
God of All Comfort
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5 For as we share abundantly in Christ’s sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too. 6 If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer. 7 Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort.

The word of God is powerful. Not only did we all have a lunch appointment, we had a divine appointment with the God of all comfort, who comforts us so that we may comfort others. Thanks ladies that in a small way I could share in your suffering and share in your comfort!
 







No comments:

Post a Comment