Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Meet My Friend Connie


Life brings its share of storms. Recently, we have watched the billowing waves of hurricane Sandy hit the mid-Atlantic shore and have seen the destruction left in its wake. As Christians, God is our watchman guiding our path to safe harbor as the billows of life crash in on us. Meet my friend Connie. She is an example of one who has trusted God when waves have come crashing.

 Some days just shake the very foundation of our being. Though distant now, the memories of that day still linger in my mind. It was the day my son left to join the army. It was a time our country was involved in war. Inevitability loomed!

As my children were growing up I frequently prayed that the Lord would grow them into godly men and women. Whatever it takes, I would say! This?? It was not what I had in mind, but it was to be God’s chosen path for Josh.

Trust!!!!! Why is one word so difficult to comprehend? Could I honestly say that Josh was safer at home than where he was to be? After all, the God of the universe was with him.

God moves in ways that sometimes are a mystery to us. Having a son go to war was not part of my plan. I am the mother! Why was I not consulted? Pause!!!! It’s God’s design, not mine! He had something different in mind! Could I trust God when things don’t look like I think they should?  I was beginning to see - not only was God working in Josh’s life, He was working in my heart. He was answering the cry of a mother to grow her son’s heart Godward. Trust!!!!

I am thankful that the responsibility of my son’s life will never rest on my shoulders. I am so grateful I don’t have to carry this burden. Although many days were tearful I was learning not to be fearful. The same God who was watching over my son was watching over me. God added such peace to my days. What could be better than that?  I was learning to trust that one way or another Josh would be coming ‘home’- either into my arms or into the arms of Jesus. 

Sometimes life’s best lessons are learned in the school of hard knocks. If you could have asked Josh, he would have said, "I am glad God brought me to this place, because He is teaching me things here that I would not have learned elsewhere." Josh reminded me of the truth found in Psalms 37:23, "The steps of a man are established by the Lord; and he delights in his way." 

Retrospective, perspective!!!!!! Looking back I see so many positive things this experience has produced. Growth in character, maturity, and responsibility has been priceless. These years were not wasted; they were growing years, not only for my son, but also for his mother. Though God’s ways do not always parallel mine, I have learned to trust Him. He has proven Himself.  He has intimately ministered to my heart so I could withstand a situation that was just too hard for any mother to deal with alone.  This is where peace is found (Isaiah 26:3-4).

I remember the first time I saw Josh. He wasn’t my little boy anymore. He was wearing the uniform of the U.S. Army. Now, he was their man. But his greatest call will always be a soldier of the Lord. After all, he’s already in His army. Now that’s perspective!!



No comments:

Post a Comment