Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Better Way of Thinking and Riding

On days when things seem hard we often find ourselves asking God the "why" question. Isn't my life supposed to be good and full of blessings from God? Doesn't every good and perfect gift come from above? If that true, why is this happening to me?

Two verses that come to mind are Romans 8:28 and James 1:17. I know for myself trying to make sense of difficulty in light of these 2 verses often leads me down the path of wrong thinking and flawed theology. As I ponder these verses in light of trials and suffering several things come to mind.

Romans 8:28, And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to His purpose.

James 1:17, Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

First, I need to understand the significance of the words all, good, and purpose. All is defined as the whole of-as in quantity, duration, or extent: everything. The word good has multiple meanings: morally excellent, satisfactory in quality, quantity, or degree, honorable, sufficient and the list could go on for pages. Purpose means  the reason for which something exist or happens.

Secondly, when I begin to understand these verses in light of intended meaning things start to make sense to me. Everything that happens to me, both good or bad, easy or hard is under the watchful care of my loving Father of lights in whom there is no variation or change. God is working in all circumstances of my life by his intended purpose, for my good and ultimately for His glory.

Finally, in all things I am learning to find rest that is fueled by trust and filled with the hope that I can cast every care on Him for he cares for me. (1 Peter 5:7).

Today as I was on an early morning trike ride I was musing through these verses and connecting the dots. God has allowed suffering and hardship to come my way. I know that what he brings into my life has already been filtered through the lens of HIS mercy and love. Scripture is true because, ...The Lord God is a sun and shield: no good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly. (Psalm 84:11). So, as I am pedaling away on my recumbent trike tethered to Byron's, I can say with a big smile and heartfelt thanks to God, "Thank you Lord for taking away my ability to ride a bike and giving me the gift of a trike so that I may give you all the praise and glory you deserve."





No comments:

Post a Comment