Monday, October 28, 2013

Room 130 Part 2: The Value and Importance of Scripture Memory


I delight to do your will, O my God: your law is within my heart. Psalm 40:8

I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11

This past year has taught me many life lessons. There is a strange curiosity about dying that causes wonder as one sits by the side of a loved one who is slowly sleeping and slipping away. What is she thinking or is she thinking at all? What does she hear? What does she see? Can she feel my touch? These are all questions that raced through my mind in the last days of her life.

We saw it coming! It was a slow process much like a balloon that deflates because of a tiny pinprick. Her life began to slowly slip over a year ago.

For nearly a year before her gentle decline Byron began to read Psalm 23 to her. Each Friday she looked forward with anticipation for us to visit, and for Byron to read Psalm 23, 100 and 103 to her. Besides hearing scripture, ironically, the other favorite thing she liked was a cup of cold water. After her gulps and sips she would always say, “Oh, that is so good.” It was evident that she was truly refreshed by water and the Word.

Weeks passed; the routine continued. Friday morning visits full of scripture and cups of cold water. Over time she began to memorize Psalm 23. She was ninety-four.

One particular day after she quoted, “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,
 for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” She paused and asked, “Does that mean I don’t have to fear death?” Stunned, we answered, “Yes, Lu, Jesus is always with you. He is your great Shepherd, you need not fear death.”

Weekly visits began to take on new meaning. Although we did not fully grasp it right away, our regular visits were becoming preparation for eternity. Those cups of cold water that she loved so much were more than just cups of cold water. They had become like living water (John 4:14) as she drank in the truth of the words she had memorized and heard. She was being washed by the Word (Titus 3:4-7). God was busy in Room 130 preparing her for eternity, and we had become active observers of His sovereign power and merciful providence in the process.

Recently, as we stood by the graveside, tearfully, we reflected on this past year and arrived at the conclusion that when it is all said and done there is not much in this earthly life that really matters. We have a little plaque hanging by the door in our mudroom that says it well, “Only one life, twill soon be past, only what’s done for Christ will last. “To me to live is Christ,” Philippians 1:21.

This past year has taught me the value of scripture memory as well as learning and memorizing the words to hymns and choruses. Hiding God’s Word in our heart is valuable not only to keep us from sinning, but also to prepare ourselves in this life as we journey into eternity. 

Who will be at my side in my latter days? What will I be thinking? What will I be hearing? What will I be seeing? Will I be able to feel the tender touch of those nearby?  Through this past year, the life lesson I have learned in all of this is: While I am still able I want to hide God’s Word in my heart so that one day it will be living water that washes over me as I journey from now into eternity!

               
                       

1 comment:

  1. Hello. Do you happen to know the history of your little plaque?
    I have a similar one and would love to find out how old it is. It was a great great grandmother's treasure.

    ReplyDelete